Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Practice-makes-perfect Banana Loaf

I love to bake. I didn't have formal training but I started early courtesy of my Auntie Binky. My earliest baking memories were of me greasing her baking pans when I was seven years old. Until now I'm still using some of her pans that she left with me when she got married.

The recipe for the perfect banana loaf seem to have eluded me. The ones I tried before were either to dense, too heavy or just didn't sit perfectly on my taste buds. I kept experimenting and just last week, I FINALLY baked what for me is the perfect banana bread recipe. 

The recipe is actually for banana cake but most people bake this in loaf pans and they come out like breads hence the name. But it was moist, with just the right sweetness and it didn't use butter or milk so less calories for the figure conscious. It was also not a fussy recipe so even beginners will find the directions very easy to follow. With much pride and joy, I'm sharing with you my practice makes perfect banana loaf recipe. 



Ingredients:

1 cup mashed ripe bananas (the blackened, overripe ones are the best)
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I didn't bother sifting)
1 teaspoon baking soda
Nuts (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degree Celsius.
2. In a bowl, mix all dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda).
3. Make a well in the center and add eggs, canola oil and vanilla. Mix well.
4. Add mashed bananas and mix until well incorporated.
5. Pour on to greased or lined loaf pans and bake for 45-50 minutes or until done using the cake test (cake test is done by inserting toothpick in the middle of your cake. When it comes out clean, your cake is done. You can sprinkle chopped nuts on top before baking if available. Instead of using a loaf pan, I used 3oz cupcake pan so there's individual serving and cut the baking time to 25 minutes).
6. Cool before slicing or serving. 

This banana loaf is perfect with a cup of hot coffee. If you have tried this recipe, I would love to hear your feedback. Happy baking!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, in celebration of? But wait, I'll probably just bake for you... mwah!

    ReplyDelete